Published on November 15, the Decision on Major Issues Concerning Comprehensively Deepening Reforms includes 60 clauses in 16 parts, aiming to achieve decisive results in its reform drive by 2020. While the four clauses of the first part set the reforms' general goals, the other 56 clauses deal with more specific tasks in eight areas. Following are a selection of these clauses:
Economy (totaling 19 clauses)
- Basic economic system China will stick to the dominant role of public ownership, playing the leading role of a state-owned economy, while encouraging, supporting and guiding the non-public sector to enhance its vitality and creativity.
Detailed tasks: Improving property rights protection mechanism, developing mixed ownership economy, promoting a modern enterprise system in state-owned enterprises and supporting sound development of a non-public economy.
- Modern market system China will accelerate the establishment of a modern market system where businesses should be allowed to operate independently and compete fairly, while consumers should be free to choose and spend, and merchandise traded freely and equally.
Detailed tasks: Establishing fair, open and transparent market rules, improving the market-determined pricing mechanism, setting up a unified construction land market in urban and rural areas, improving the financial market mechanism and deepening science and technology management mechanisms.
- Fiscal and tax reform China will improve legislation, reform the tax system, guarantee a stable tax burden and ensure a transparent budgeting process.
Detailed tasks: Improving the budget management and taxation systems in a bid to make responsibilities of government agencies match what they spend.
- Integrated urban-rural development system China will set up a new type of industry-agriculture and urban-rural relations in which the industrial sector promotes agriculture, urban areas support rural development, agriculture and industry benefit each other, and urban and rural development is integrated so that farmers can equally participate in the modernization drive and share in the benefits.
Detailed tasks: Accelerating establishment of a new type of agribusiness system, granting more property rights to farmers, promoting the equitable exchanges of production factors between cities and rural areas and improving mechanisms and systems for sound development of urbanization.
- New mechanism for an open economy China will advance opening up at home and opening to the outside world so that each can promote the other, stimulate the orderly and free flow of international and domestic production factors and promote reform through opening up.
Detailed tasks: Relaxing investment restrictions, accelerating construction of free trade zones and expanding opening up in inland and border areas.
Politics (totaling 9 clauses)
- Socialist democracy system China will adhere to and improve the people's congress system, the system of multi-party cooperation and political consultation under the leadership of the Communist Party of China (CPC), the system of regional national autonomy and the system of community autonomy, improve the democratic system, enrich the forms of democracy and expand orderly political participation by citizens.
Detailed tasks: Promoting the people's congress system to keep it current, advancing extensive and systematic development of consultative democracy and developing democracy at the community level.
- Transforming government functions China will transform government functions, deepen administrative system reform, innovate the administrative management model, increase the government's public trust and execution power and establish a law-based and service-oriented government.
Detailed tasks: Improving the macro-control system, performing government functions in an all-round and correct way and improving the government's organizational structure.
- Restrictions and supervision system of power operation China will set up a power operation system with scientific decision-making, resolute execution and powerful supervision and improve the system of combating corruption through both punishment and prevention.
Detailed tasks: Forming a scientific and effective system of power restriction and coordination and strengthening innovation and a guaranteed system to deal with anti-corruption.
Society (totaling 9 clauses)
- Reform and innovation in social sectors China will accelerate reform and innovation in social sectors, try to provide diversified services and better satisfy people's demands.
Detailed tasks: Deepening overall education reform, improving the institutions and mechanisms of employment and starting businesses, building a fairer and more sustainable social welfare system and deepening reform of the medical and health system.
- Social management system China will innovate social management, enhance social development, improve levels of social governance, maintain national security and ensure social order and stability.
Detailed tasks: Improving social governance methods, stimulating social organizations, innovating a system that can effectively prevent and solve social disputes, improving public security systems, establishing the state security committee and improving systems and strategies to ensure national security.
Culture (totaling 4 clauses)
China will follow the development path of a socialist culture with Chinese characteristics and further deepen the cultural system reform.
Detailed tasks: Improving the cultural management mechanism, establishing and improving a modern cultural market system, setting up a modern public cultural service system and deepening openness of the cultural sector.
Democracy and the Rule of Law (totaling 5 clauses)
China will deepen judicial system reform and build a socialist judicial system that features justice, high efficiency and authority.
Detailed tasks: Upholding the Constitution and laws, deepening reforms of administrative law enforcement, ensuring independence and fairness in prosecuting bodies and courts, improving the operational mechanism for judicial power and boosting the judicial system to protect human rights.
Ecological Progress (totaling 4 clauses)
China will establish a comprehensive system featuring the strictest possible rules to protect the environment.
Detailed tasks: Improving the property rights system for natural resources and the administration of their use, drawing a "red line" for ecological protection, establishing a system of paid use for natural resources ecological compensation and reforming environmental protection and management systems.
National Defense and Armed Forces (totaling 3 clauses)
China will strengthen military leadership, improve military strategies in the new era and build a modern military with Chinese characteristics.
Detailed tasks: Deepening the reform of the military's composition and functions, promoting reform and adjustment of a military policy system and boosting coordinated development of military and civilian industries.
CPC's Leadership (totaling 3 clauses)
The CPC will strengthen and improve its leadership to ensure reform will be successful.
Detailed tasks: Establishing a central leading team for "comprehensively deepening reform," which will be in charge of designing national, major reform on an overall basis, arranging and coordinating reforms in relevant aspects, pushing forward reform as a whole and supervising the implementation of reform plans.