- December 27, 1991, China recognizes the Russian Federation and the two commence diplomatic relations
- September 1994, China and Russia declare the establishment of a "constructive partnership featuring good neighborliness and mutually beneficial cooperation"
- April 25, 1996, China and Russia announce the establishment of a "partnership of strategic coordination based on equality and mutual benefit and oriented toward the 21st century"
- July 24, 2001, the Treaty of Good Neighborliness and Friendly Cooperation Between the People's Republic of China and the Russian Federation is signed
- October 14, 2004, China and Russia issue a joint statement, declaring that the boundary dispute between the two countries has been completely determined
- October 14, 2008, China and Russia unveil markers for the eastern portion of their border
- June 6, 2012, China and Russia agree to enhance their "comprehensive strategic partnership of coordination" in a joint statement